Weaving the Digital Thread Beyond 3D Models
The Problem with Static Documents
Model-based definition of products enables automated analysis of part information by engineering applications throughout the product lifecycle. Historically, model-based enterprise initiatives focused on geometry, dimensions and tolerances - the 3D models of parts. This approach did not address non-geometric information, communicated through free text on drawing notes and in documents created within the enterprise and by standards bodies. These documents contain critical company data: part, material and process specifications, work instructions, test plans, and more. Locked within free text notes of the CAD models, and in formats like PDF, MS Word or paper, traditional documents:
- Require human interpretation and extensive manual effort to use and reuse the embedded tables, graphs, equations, and text.
- Turn internal engineering documents into disconnected data silos; this complicates configuration management, reduces data flow between users, and can lead to inconsistent interpretation of requirements throughout the product lifecycle.
- Demand extensive copying, summarization, and retyping which disconnects these concepts from their authoritative sources. This results in redundancy and inconsistency, as well as making change management within the enterprise highly inefficient.
The deficiencies of static documents lead to error-prone manual labor, higher costs, unnecessary risk throughout the enterprise, and a significant slowdown in project lifecycles.
SWISS digital models expand the integrated view of engineering requirements to non-3D data. They facilitate more effective flow of information, analysis throughout the product lifecycle and enable assessment of change impact not feasible for legacy documents.
Use SWISS to move from the static, document-based world to the dynamic model-based world.
The SWISS Solution
SWISS uses AI to transform legacy static engineering documents into smart, connected and change-aware assets within the enterprise PLM system, and link them to other internal and external digital models. Every concept in the knowledge graph of digital models knows its meaning, its status, and its relationship to other data. No one works from out-of-date versions. No one wastes time searching for related documents or concepts. No one has to guess the operational impact of a change to any document. Actionable intelligence is conveyed throughout the enterprise and supply chain to help engineers do their work faster, with fewer errors, and less risk.
The Benefits of a Model-Based Approach:
Enterprises that transform their engineering product and process specifications to SWISS gain significant benefits in nearly every stage of project lifecycle.
- Improve time-to-market and cut late-stage rework by ensuring that all functions, disciplines, and suppliers are always using authoritative versions of all documents.
- Reuse data elements to reduce duplication of work and create work instructions, test plans, and technical specs in far less time.
- Assess the operational impact of changes to customer, corporate, or industry standards almost instantaneously.
- Leverage AI-based concept searching to reduce time engineers spend looking for related documents by up to 50%.
- Increase engineering productivity by integrating content into the most common PLM and authoring tools
Every element of the SWISS platform has been carefully engineered to deliver desired outcomes specified from the shop floor to the top floor. With SWISS, every engineering or manufacturing document is:
Automatically connect silos of internal and external information, across functions, disciplines, and partners.
WHY: reduce search time, pinpoint answers to questions, and uncover “what you don’t know”.
Easily extract and track text, tables, graphs, images, and equations into other applications.
WHY: eliminate wasteful copy/paste/rekey, and reuse common data elements to reduce start-up times and finish projects faster.
Changes at the source are automatically conveyed downstream so your entire enterprise and supply chain are using the same information.
WHY: reduce rework and project delays while enabling more frequent iterations on-the-fly.
The powerful SWISS API automatically delivers critical data into PLM, EPC, and other systems.
WHY: get the exact information you need, right when and where you need it.
Automatically detects differences between versions and shows the impact of changes.
WHY: reduce manual steps and improve speed and accuracy of change management.
SWISS Reduces the Cost of Technical Documentation Management
“SWISS-ify” Your Company’s Internal Content
Imagine clicking back and forth from your internal product specs to ASTM, ASME, API, MIL Specs, work instructions, PLM, and back. When you convert your internal content to SWISS, you’ll have a single source of comprehensive, interoperable engineering data. The results: greater productivity, shorter time to market, and the lowest possible cost of using and managing information in your workflow.
of engineers use internal content “closely” with external industry standards.
of engineers don’t need to read the entire standard. They need answers to specific questions.
of users have problems extracting data from standards and integrating it with other applications.
of users say that "finding the documents" is the hardest part of using standards.